The “Bonnie Blue Flag” of the Republic of West Florida.
The United States and Spain held long, inconclusive negotiations on the status of West Florida. In the meantime, American settlers established a foothold in the area and resisted Spanish control. British settlers, who had remained, also resented Spanish rule, leading to a rebellion in 1810 and the establishment for exactly 90 days of the Republic of West Florida.
The boundaries of the Republic of West Florida included all territory south of the 31st parallel, west of the Perdido River in Alabama and Florida, and east of the Mississippi River, but north of Lake Pontchartrain. The southern boundary was the Gulf of Mexico. It included the Louisiana parishes of East Baton Rouge, East and West Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, Tangipahoa, St. Tammany and Washington. The capital of the Republic of West Florida was St. Francisville on a bluff along the Mississippi River.
Here at the Plaquemine Lock State Historic Site we will present the roles of such waterways as the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico in this historical event.